this is a great day for AndroVM. I’m happy to announce that the AndroVM project becomes a fully supported commercial product, backed by Genymobile.
To underline this change, the project name changes (who said again ? ) from AndroVM to Genymotion.
Let me now describe what will be Genymotion. This product is aimed at replacing the Android Emulator from Google not only for Android developers but also for people making Android apps demonstrations (sales, marketing people).
Genymotion is being developed towards three directions :
- Performance : the fastest Android emulator mainly thanks to x86 support and Hardware OpenGL (improved from what’s available in the stock emulator)
- Simplicity : we want an easy to install, easy to use product, hiding the technological complexity behind the scene (VirtualBox, Hardware OpenGL, …)
- Emulation completeness : we want most sensors to be emulated with easy-tu-use widgets, Voice call emulation, NFC, Bluetooth, and more…
The first beta version of Genymotion will be available in about one month – launched at the Droidcon in Paris, that’s one more good reason to attend if needed
Some of you might fear that the project goes closed source and/or are forced to pay in order to use Genymotion. I want to reassure you :
- Everything open source today will stay open source and will even expand : our strategy is that all Genymotion “basic functions” are open source (VirtualBox support, Different Android version support) and we aimed the open source version of Genymotion to go beyond the needs of the commercial version, especially in terms of Virtualization product support by supporting virtualization environments like Xen or VMWare. If you would like to participate in this development, feel free to contact me.
- Genymotion will have a free version, with many many advanced functions (sensors emulation, GPS, multi-touch support, …) which will should make your development/testing/demonstration work easier
There will obviously be paying versions of the product, mainly for large companies needing collaboration on Genymotion.
The genymotion.com web site is up, you can visit it and register your email address to be informed as soon as the product is released.
Feel free to comment/ask questions on this change.